39 Killed and Injured in a Blast Targeted British Embassy Vehicle
39 Killed and Injured in a Blast Targeted British Embassy Vehicle
A suicide bomber rammed his explosives-packed car into a British embassy vehicle in Kabul on Thursday, killing at least five Afghans and wounding 34 bystanders in the latest blast to hit the city.
British embassy staff were also injured in the attack, though no further details were immediately released. Among the bystanders injured were five children, officials said.
The huge explosion could be heard across Kabul and a plume of smoke rose above the attack site on the Jalalabad road, a main route that houses many foreign compounds and military facilities.
The attack, coming three days after two US soldiers were killed in another bomb blast in Kabul.
The Taliban said they were behind Thursday's attack in a message on a recognized Twitter account, claiming that many foreigners had been killed.
British ambassador Richard Stagg was at a televised meeting and not in the vehicle when it was hit.
"We can confirm that a British embassy vehicle has been attacked in Kabul. A number of staff have been injured," a British foreign office spokeswoman said.
Afghan officials at first reported the bomber was on a motorbike, but later said he was driving a Toyota Corolla car.
Kenishka Turkistani, spokesmen for the ministry of public health, said five bystanders were killed and 34 wounded in the attack.
"They are all Afghan civilians, the wounded include five children. We don't record foreign casualties," Turkistani said.
Add new comment